Sunday, January 27, 2019

Trip to the Lakes

 After the hustle and bustle of the holidays and completing my exams for the first term of classes, I am finally settling back into the normal routine of student life. I am now two weeks into second term, and I will soon be providing an update on what I have in store for the final few months of my time in Essex. However, first I must make good on a promise that I made in my last post to share with you all my fantastic holiday in the Lake District that I went on with my partner Grace, who was visiting from Minnesota.

The Lake District is located in northwestern England and its a popular travel location for many because of its lakes, mountains (fells), and hiking trails. It was also a favorite travel spot for the the likes of William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter! While it may not compete with Minnesota and Wisconsin for quantity of lakes, it certainly can hold its own in terms of beauty. There are enough trails to last an avid hiker a lifetime and each comes with its own distinct geographic features and staggering views. Rather than write extensively about it, I am instead going to let the photos mostly speak for themselves.

 After renting a car in Ipswich (a mint green Fiat!), we drove 5.5 hours to Keswick, one of the more populous towns in the Lake District and centrally located. As we still had an hour or two of daylight when we arrived, we made our way first to the prehistoric Castlerigg stone circle which is dated between 3000 and 2500 BC.
Castlerigg Stone Circle near Keswick, Cumbria
We then made our way to the our lodging on the Greta Bank Farm outside of Keswick. After dropping off our things, we quickly made our way to the nearby Pheasant Inn for a pint in front of a roaring fireplace, perfect for a crisp winter evening in the mountains.
Greta Bank Farm in Keswick
The next day we had perfect weather for a day hike on the Catsbells Ridge overlooking Deerwentwater Lake. The pristine water and vibrant green hills made for incredible scenery and many photo-worthy moments. Below are a few of my favorites.





We capped off the day with dinner and drink at the Dog and Gun pub in Keswick, a packed local spot that seemed to be a favorite among dog owners (at one point I swear there were more dogs than people inside!). Those around us were very friendly and we chatted for hours. Everyone was eager to hear about our lives in the US and to figure out how two Americans ended up in the Lake District in the winter. We also benefited from their local tips and anecdotes about the area.

Our second day, we planned a slightly more vertical hike up to a high mountain lake near Easedale Tarn. By comparison to the previous day, we did not see the sun at all, however, it was still a terrific hike.



When it was time to return to Wivenhoe the next day, we still had not gotten our fill of beautiful Lake District scenery, so we took the scenic route back through the Buttermere Valley and stopped for a quick walk around Buttermere Lake.


It was a fantastic weekend away and exceeded all of my expectations! It is unlikely that I would have ever made my way to the Lake District without living here and am grateful for the opportunity to experience more of what the UK has to offer besides the main attractions. If you ever have the chance to visit the lakes, it is a must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment